The Great Barrier Reef is in a critical state right now.
But Federal Government's attempts to address the greatest threat to the reef, climate change, remain woefully inadequate.
Until 31 July 2018, Ethicaljobs.com.au will match, dollar for dollar, every donation made to the Climate Council through this page, up to a total of $20,000!
In 2016 and 2017 the Reef faced unprecedented back-to-back years of bleaching and coral death – 93% of individual reefs were affected, and 30% of all corals died in 2016.
Greenhouse gas pollution, through the burning of coal and other fossil fuels, is driving marine heatwaves and ocean acidity which will eventually kill the reef unless we transition to clean, renewable energy and storage technologies.
But the Federal Government is downplaying the threat to our fragile reefs from dangerous climate change.
If the Federal Government is serious about protecting the Reef they must implement a credible climate policy, including a plan for deeply and rapidly reducing Australia’s rising greenhouse gas pollution levels, whilst ramping up Australia’s transition to clean, non-polluting renewable energy technologies and battery storage solutions.
You Can Make A Difference
The Climate Council is Australia’s leading climate change communications organisation.
A group of the country's leading climate scientists, energy, health and policy experts, as well as a dedicated team of staff and volunteers, they provide authoritative, expert advice to the public on climate change, energy solutions and international action, based on the most up-to-date science available.
And they have a plan to shine a light on the urgent action required to protect the Great Barrier Reef from climate change.
But influencing the national debate requires huge resources and support.
Your donation will help cover:
- A visit to the Great Barrier Reef to source footage in key locations, where bleaching has previously occurred, where the Climate Council has been monitoring for the past two years.
- Inviting journalists and TV cameras to further amplify the story.
- Providing fact sheets and background information to journalists - it is crucial that journalists hold our leaders to account in interviews across the media and make sure they are asking the hard questions on climate change so it can’t be ignored.
- An updated research report on the reef detailing the extent of coral recovery and reef mortality.
- Undertaking briefings with the marine tourism industry key tourism operators on the Reef to ensure they’ve got the facts to talk about the biggest threat to their industry.
- Sending the Climate Council’s well-respected board members to brief key decision makers like State and Territory Energy Ministers to urge them to choose a climate and energy policy that adds up when it comes to acting on climate change.
Your donation will allow the Climate Council to shift the national debate on climate change, and push for a transition to a clean, renewable-powered future.
And EthicalJobs.com.au will double your donation, doubling your impact!
Plus it's tax-deductible.
Your donation through this page will be matched, dollar for dollar, by EthicalJobs.com.au to support the Climate Council’s work, up to $20,000!
Just select an amount on the right of this page, and follow the steps from there.
You can find out more about Climate Council’s work at https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/