What is crowdfunding?
Crowdfunding is a way for you to fundraise online for a project, person or cause. At its simplest, you'll create a crowdfunding page online and promote it to as many people as you can. We'll collect and transfer the funds to you. You then do your project and then follow up with your supporters to show them what you've spent the money on.
The most common campaigns on Chuffed.org are:
- Non-profits, charities and social enterprises looking for funding for a social cause project, product or program
- Individuals looking for funding for a sick friend, family member, or colleague
- Individuals and organisations looking to fund animal vet bills
- Individuals or teams doing a challenge and raising funds for a charity or non-profit
Are you eligible?
To be eligible to run a crowdfunding campaign on Chuffed.org, you’ll need to satisfy three criteria:
- You must be fundraising for a social, environmental, political, community or First Nations cause. (Check out our campaign categories for a guideline of campaigns we support);
- You must have a bank account and identification in one of our eligible countries in order to receive donations; and
- Your campaign must not be:
- Seeking to harm, demean or oppress marginalised groups (e.g. you’re against LGBTQI+);
- Arguing against a widely accepted scientific view (e.g. you’re for climate denial or flat earth); or
- Conflicting with any of our social cause areas, especially if you are a political cause campaign (e.g. you’re a political candidate or organising a community protest against supporting refugees, climate change or marriage equality).
Due to regulatory issues, our lawyers won't allow us to run campaigns involving raffles, guns and firearms or the direct offer of financial products including debt, equity or profit shares.
We do not think that your legal structure has any bearing on your ability to do good in the world, so we accept campaigns from individuals, social enterprises, not-for-profits, religious organisations, for-profit commercial organisations and community groups, as long as they meet the criteria above.
Our Social Cause Areas: Environment, Refugees and Asylum Seekers, Community, Animals, First Nations, Health and Medical, Schools and Education, Social Welfare, Women and Girls, LGBTIQ, Politics, International Development, Social Enterprise, Sports, Personal, Disability, Cancer, Homelessness, Disaster Relief, Volunteering
Eligible Countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Lithuania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States
How much can you raise?
How much you raise depends on how much effort you put into preparing for your campaign and promoting it to your supporters. The biggest campaign so far has raised $345,000/£203,000/€235,000 but most successful campaigns raise on average $7,000. Read more about this in the Setting your target section.
How much are the fees?
Chuffed.org operates on an optional donation model. We don't charge any fees to people running campaigns. Here's how it works:
When a donor gives you $100, that $100 goes straight through to you, and the donor will pay the payment processing fees, which for a $100 donation are about $3. This amount goes to the payment processing company and ensures we don't lose money on a donation. The donor can then choose to give to Chuffed.org on top of that - this is entirely optional, but we do suggest a small amount to each donor.
The payment processing fees depend on your country:
|Country||Currency||Payment processing fee||Chuffed.org fees|
|United Kingdom||GBP||2.4% + 20p||0%|
|Australia||AUD||2.0% + 30c||0%|
|United States||USD||2.9% + 30c||0%|
|Canada||CAD||2.9% + 30c||0%|
|Denmark||DKK||2.9% + 1.8kr||0%|
|Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Estonia, France, Spain, Austria, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia||EUR||2.9% + 25c||0%|
|Hong Kong||HKG||2.9% + $2.35||0%|
|Mexico||MXN||3.6% + $3.0||0%|
|Norway||NOK||2.9% + 2.0kr||0%|
|New Zealand||NZD||2.9% + 30c||0%|
|Singapore||SGD||3.4% + 50c||0%|
|South Africa||USD||2.9% + 30c||0%|
|Sweden||SEK||2.9% + 1.8kr||0%|
|Switzerland||CHF||2.9% + 30c||0%|
We don't charge extra for American Express, PayPal or international cards.