It's been 25 years since Rwanda endured 100 days of hell. In honour of the 25th Anniversary of The Genocide Against the Tutsi, Compelled by Love are aiming to raise $5,000 to fund an Empower program.
In 1994, The Genocide Against the Tutsi occurred, in which over 1 million people were tortured and murdered over the course of 100 days.
Think about it - that's an average of 10,000 people per day!
The genocide was largely committed by the civilian population, under coercion and threat from government forces and community leaders. Many victims were attacked by people that they knew - people they had grown up with, and who had lived together in the same community, adding to the tragedy and trauma.
300,000 were orphaned as a result of the genocide
530,000 women were victims of rape, mostly by HIV-positive men
4 million people were displaced
Approximately 60% of the population now live below the poverty line.
91% of survivors did not have a chance to bury their relatives or perform mourning ceremonies for their loved ones, causing many to suffer from chronic traumatic grief, in addition to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Here’s what we’re doing about it
Compelled by Love began running the Empower program - a specially designed program for counselling, rehabilitation, and reconciliation.
Since then, over 3,000 people have been through Empower in Rwanda and received help and healing to recover from trauma and symptoms of PTSD.
Participants give feedback that:
- They've shared their story and experience during the genocide for the very first time
- They have slept through the night for the first time in 20 years
- They have cried for the first time in 20 years, previously keeping everything inside
- They have been healed of trauma symptoms like flashbacks, stomachaches, and headaches
- They have been able to forgive the people who have offended them
- They have restored relationships with people who have harmed them and their families
- They have turned away from plans to commit suicide
- They have turned away from plans to harm others in revenge
We need your help! Each Empower program costs $5,000 to run. The program is funded completely by donations, so without your support, we can't continue.
You can join us
Every little bit counts. Show your support for the people of Rwanda and join the campaign today! Thank you :)