'Let's spotlight and existify a New Art.'
The art of human relationship.
S P A C E is for us
to find remarkable connexion.
with new and different others.
Why make S P A C E?
So we can work better, together.
Engage with meaning.
Listen to those whom we don't yet know.
Understand new perspectives.
Explore. Learn. Create and co-create.
And in so doing, become better versions of our selves.
S P A C E is for all of us.
S P A C E
Every Tuesday at 7AM USEST.
Winter 2018-19 collection
'A Philosophy of the Moment'
S P A C E | Brussels, 'The Work of Art'
S P A C E | Aarhus, 'Janteloven'
S P A C E | Rovaniemi, 'Arctic Circle'
S P A C E | Berlin, 'Strange Geometries'
S P A C E | Singapore, 'The Prospect of Beauty'
S P A C E | Malmö, 'Vakt'
Spring 2019 collection
'The Book of New Things'
S P A C E | Đà Lạt, 'In the flowers'
S P A C E | Pangkor Island, 'Two Pisces'
S P A C E | Kuala Lumpur, 'Kaunter Tiket'
S P A C E | Penang, '4/4 Measure'
S P A C E | Haapavesi, 'Katsotaan'
S P A C E | Copenhagen, 'Run, Eliza'
S P A C E | Phnom Penh, 'Angle of Reflection'
S P A C E | Johor Bahru, 'Love from Johor'
S P A C E | Bangkok, 'Julian Willoughby'
S P A C E | Sheffield, 'Briefly in Sheffield'
S P A C E | Ninh Binh, 'The End of the Line'
S P A C E | Huế, 'The Book of New Things'
A new humanism: empathy, trust
All of this 'spacemaking' stuff started with a salon in 2004 in Seattle, 'Flourish: what is the role of the artist?' We gathered: neighbors, friends, clients, colleagues, and even competing design studios to talk, together, in dialogue, exploring an important (but oft unvisited) query. In those days, ‘In pursuit of beauty,’ and ‘In search of meaning’ used to be categories on our blog. At the start our vision was, ‘Anything is possible.’
- Today we're making S P A C E. More and more important in today's shifting geopolitics, we feel, is quality space for *new* and *different* others to discover each other.
- Since 2014 we've been writing and publishing the weekly eZine S P A C E, from Cambodia's Phnom Penh.
- How we got here is another story, a year of 'seeking' and 'practicing the new, uncertain, and different,' that you can find outlined in our 2012 'Year of Dialogue' project. A time of searching for 'voices from the margins', in order to share real stories about real people from 'the field' through the Letters from Kismuth project.
- S P A C E is for those who are curious, and seeking meaning, to learn something new about where and how others, in other places, think and live,
- S P A C E is a way for us to begin to connect and dialogue together in our forums, salons, and real life moments. To find common ground, to connect and interconnect, and even co-publish new zines. Together.
- But mostly, S P A C E is for us to discover... you. To meet, to converse, and through creative processes we've explored and built over the years (iterating, tweaking, the usual things you do in the work of design). But also, above all, S P A C E quests S P A C E. It wants to make a firm place what DK feel is tantamount for true collaboration that really works. If we all want to make better work and live in a way that invites query, search, seeking, connecting deeply, and introspection that comes of all this, we need more S P A C E to play.
Here's what it will cost to make December, January and February's collection, 'A Philosophy of the Moment,' for S P A C E | Winter 2018-19.
Layout and Design: USD 3K
Atelier materials: USD 200
Research: USD 2K
Talent hire (artists, writers, photographers, etc): USD 2K
Admin: USD 200
Photocopying & Postage: USD 200
Total needed: USD 7.6K
Design Kompany LLC's investment: USD 2.0K
Campaign goal: 5.6K
‘Zines*’ remind us that at the end of the day, we get to create and write our own stories. The stories of our lives—the stories that remind us who we really are. DK are makingthese kinds of zines.
Offline. Without distraction.
- Hyperlocal narratives.
- Creative nonfiction.
- Made in Atelier S P A C E, a 2-year zinemaking popup.
- Shared with and co-created by members of our international team.
*What are zines? Photocopied short publications we make ourselves and give our friends or our community. Such personal pieces give us a tangible grip on the here and now.
S P A C E is a collection of art books, photozines, digital PDFs, and hand-sewn limited-edition zines designed and curated by an international, collaborating teams at DK. Learn how you can be a part of it, when you subscribe.