Yogis regard the sun with reverence, viewing it as not only the source of light and life for our planet but as a powerful symbol of the divine Light within us all.
But the sun can be a dangerous friend. Exposure to the sun without adequate protection can lead to skin cancer, including melanoma. Join us in spreading awareness about sun safety and raising money to help find a cure for melanoma.
Did you know?
- One person is diagnosed with melanoma in the US every seven minutes.
- One person dies from melanoma every hour..
- Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29.
- From 1970 to 2009, the incidence of melanoma increased by 800 percent among young women and 400 percent among young men. Overall, the incidence of melanoma has tripled over the last 35 years.
- Indoor tanning has been linked with all types of skin cancer, including melanoma.
- One blistering sunburn in childhood or adolescence more than doubles a person's chances of developing melanoma later in life.
The Wise Heart Community began Salute the Sun Wisely in 2014. In addition to raising awareness and funds for research, Salute the Sun Wisely brings us together to remember those we have lost to melanoma, support those who are battling, and honor those who are working toward a cure.
All proceeds benefit the White Aisle Foundation, a 501(c)(3) not for profit organization that raises funds for melanoma research, educates about melanoma and its prevention, and advocates for public policies that help prevent skin cancer in memory of Rebecca Garrison Sokoloff, who lost her battle with melanoma in 2011.