What is Rise Above the Pack?
We all have the right to feel safe and respected, but verbal harassment, wolf whistles, cat calls, and even unwanted physical contact can feel like part of daily life for women in public spaces.
In 2014, YWCA Adelaide developed the award-winning Rise Above the Pack campaign in response to a study reporting that 73% of Adelaide women tend to avoid the CBD at times when they feel at increased risk of harassment.
Rise Above the Pack aims to engage men and women in a meaningful conversation about street harassment, gender equality and the role that we all play in calling out behaviours and attitudes that put women at risk of violence.
Why does Street Safety matter?
We believe that street harassment is everyone’s business, which means we can all work to prevent it. Through educational initiatives and a major public awareness campaign, we promote positive Bystander Intervention as a tool for improving women's safety in public spaces.
These principles have recently been the focus of national media attention, including our own spokesperson, Claire Tatyzo, in conversation with Hack on Triple J. Now the issue of street harassment is in the spotlight, and the conversation has been sparked, we think it's the perfect time to make a grand statement in support of women's safety in public spaces!
What's the project all about?
We’re commissioning a local female artist to create a vibrant laneway mural to brighten the space and raise awareness about women’s safety, gender equality and bystander intervention. The mural’s message is one of inclusivity, positivity and respect. We aim to keep people thinking and talking about their role in contributing to safe public spaces for women.
With the support of Adelaide City Council, Adelaide White Ribbon Breakfast Committee and the Adelaide Fringe Street Art Explosion, we’ve secured a spot on James Place ready for a facelift and local street artist, Ella Simpson, is primed for painting – now all we need is you!
What can I do to help?
With your help, we can rise above the pack and make our city safe for everyone. The best way to support the City Safety Street Art Project is by telling your pals or making a donation! We need around $3000 for materials, artist’s fees, and a launch event to promote the project. Any additional funds raised will further support Rise Above the Pack educational initiatives and programs.
The City Safety Street Art Project is an initiative of Rise Above the Pack and YWCA Adelaide, and proudly supported by Adelaide Fringe Street Art Explosion, Adelaide City Council, Rundle Mall Management Authority, Adelaide White Ribbon Breakfast Committee, Ink and Ruby Studios, and YOU!
All donations over $2 are tax deductible and directly contribute to the City Safety Street Art Project, as well as YWCA Adelaide’s related Rise Above the Pack education initiatives. As an extra special thank you, donations over $25 attract additional perks:
- $25 – A YWCA Adelaide keyring and personalised thank you card
- $50 – Public recognition on our Rise Above the Pack Wall of Fame + A City Safety Mural postcard featuring Ella Simpson's original design + YWCA Adelaide Keyring
- $75 – A personalised invitation to the Mural's official launch event + YWCA Adelaide 2017-2018 membership + A City Safety Mural postcard + Rise Above the Pack Wall of Fame (20 to claim)
$100 – Your choice of YWCA Adelaide or Rise Above the Pack t-shirt from one of four designs + A personalised invitation to the Mural's official launch event + A City Safety Mural postcard + Rise Above the Pack Wall of Fame (15 to claim)
- $150 – A ticket to YWCA Adelaide’s Round the World breakfast in April + YWCA Adelaide or Rise Above the Pack t-shirt + A personalised invitation to the Mural's official launch event + A City Safety Mural postcard + Rise Above the Pack Wall of Fame (10 to claim)
- $200 – The Ultimate Perk Pack – A ticket to YWCA Adelaide’s Round the World breakfast in April + YWCA Adelaide or Rise Above the Pack t-shirt + YWCA Adelaide 2017-2018 membership + A City Safety Mural postcard + Rise Above the Pack Wall of Fame + Be in the draw to win a FREE ticket to the SHE Leads Conference on 31st August, 2017 (10 to claim)
$500+ – Donate $500+ and receive an AFL Guernsey signed by Travis Boak, captain of Port Adelaide Football Club, including a certificate of authenticity from the AFL Players' Association + YWCA Adelaide or Rise Above the Pack t-shirt + A personalised invitation to the Mural's official launch event + A City Safety Mural postcard + Rise Above the Pack Wall of Fame (Limited to 1 only).
Both the Port Adelaide Football Club and Travis Boak, are committed to women's safety initiatives and have kindly donated this Guernsey in support of the City Safety Street Art Project:
"The Port Adelaide Football Club understands as role models within the community we have an important role to play in encouraging respectful relationships and to promote a community where everyone feels safe and respected.
As a club we are committed to promote gender equality and to prevent violence against women."