You could help bring local radio to Maidstone
We are building a community radio station which will be at the heart of Kent's County Town, and we need your help.
The radio station will provide opportunities for local people to get involved at every level. We will achieve this in two ways.
- By providing training and employability skills to the volunteers involved.
- Through the programmes they make which will broadcast to Maidstone and the Weald.
As a Community Interest Company our objectives are about building community cohesion and reinvesting monies back into the project, and therefore the community.
The radio station and peripheral digital media projects will provide an outlet to create awareness, and garner change and support for community organisations.
Working with its volunteers and trainees, Maidstone Community Radio will educate, inform and entertain the county town of Kent, Maidstone!
How will your donation help us?
We need help raising funds to equip the studios and launch the radio station. Your donation will enable our volunteers to start making postive community audio content. Some examples of how different donation amounts can help us are below
- £3200 Buys us the main broadcast mixer we need
- £2500 Buys us the software we need to broadcast
- £1700 Buys us our music performance licences PPL and PRS for 1 year
- £1000 Buys us a computer system to use for broadcasting
- £350 Buys us a Broadcast quality microphone
- £250 Buys us a year of online streaming subscription
- £200 Buy us a news service subscription for the year
- £180 Buys us a portable recorder for external recording activity
- £80 Buys us a Broadcast Quality headphone set
- £5-£10 Buys us some new music to play on the station!
Here’s what we’re doing about it
Maidstone Community Radio is a partnership and volunteer led organisation. We are working with Maidstone Community Support Centre, and other charitible organisations who share our vision for community radio in Maidstone.
We held our first volunteer recruitment event on 16th of July 2018 and were overwhelmed by the attendance to the event. We now hold regular volunteer and training events to up skill the team ready for broadcast.
Our Aspirations for 2019 include:
To finish building our studio and be broadcast ready
To train our volunteers into roles and positions
To get on air early 2019 – initially via internet
To explore the opportunity of Small Scale Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB).
To gain local sponsors and supporters
To connect with local businesses, community organisations
To develop a self sustaining community interest business as a radio station.
Above - Some of the amazing volunteers from our first recruitment day!
Above - Volunteers experimenting with the equipment!
Above - The broadcast equipment that was kindly lent to us for the day. Above you can see the mixer, microphones, headphones, speakers etc...
How will your donation help?
- Build a studio ready to broadcast to Kent's County Town
- Help people gain transferable new skills in broadcasting, management and admin
- Give a voice to underrepresented groups in Maidstone
- Create a great music and speech radio that is local to Maidstone
- Bring local radio back to Maidstone