Long Beach Fresh recently partnered with the San Diego Food Systems Alliance to bring Long Beach community leaders to San Diego County to learn about programs and policies they've created to improve school food.
Through cross-site learning, we hope to spur more local improvements to school food in Long Beach.
On our trip, we met with food innovators and administrators with a cohort of good food advocates to the following sites in San Diego:
South Bay Union School District Nutrition Services
- Ana de Castro, Registered Dietitian
- Karen, Area Supervisor. Karen does the produce ordering.
Vista Unified School District (VUSD)
- Jamie Phillips, VUSD Director of Child Nutrition Services
- Rita, Kitchen Lead, runs a great meal program at this site.
- Nora Stewart, Farm to Institution Center
- Dane Petersen, Farm to Institution Center
- Kate Edra, UC San Diego School Wellness Program
- Rachel Kramer, UC San Diego School Wellness Program