A little bit of context:
Filmmaking is extremely beneficial to kids' academic, social and personal growth. Filmmaking can:
- Provide kids with keys to understanding the world around them.
- Provide an array of strategies for learning, interpreting, and expressing thoughts.
- Help develop associated and transferable skills that equip kids to thrive academically and, later on, professionally.
- Improve cognitive function and development through active learning (e.g. children who engage in active learning through writing, staging, and filming a play about Abe Lincoln's life are more likely to retain information related to those events than if they only studied a text.)
- Improve communication skills as kids colloborate with their peers.
- Turn the distraction of screen time into a powerful creative force.
But there’s a problem:
- In underfunded schools, arts classes are often the first to be cut.
- 81% of elemementary school teachers report that creative subjects (such as art/film) are being crowded out by the extra attention placed on testing requirements.
- Though some local schools have film programs (yay!), there is little else offered in the community to supplement this area of interest.
- There are many great camp options locally for kids who love sports, painting, coding, etc., but not yet a camp for kids who are interested in filmmaking.
Here’s what we’re doing about it:
We are currently working with our local Peninsula School District media arts teachers and other community partners to create the most rewarding and fun film camp possible!
With this filmmaking camp, the Gig Harbor Film Festival will:
- Empower our students to tap into their imaginations and express their creative voices.
- Help kids develop their communication skills by collaborating with their peers in the creative process.
- Provide students with access to film equipment and training to use it.
- Encourage children that time in front of a screen can be creative and active, instead of passive and distracting.
You can help make this happen!
We need to raise $20,000 for a summer camp. An anonymous donor will match contributions up to $20,000. With your support, we can make this dream a reality!
Gig Harbor Film Festival is a non-profit (501c3) that relies on the genorsity of contributions from suppoters like you. Your contribution will directly impact our kids by giving them a new way to share their unique perspectives with the world.
How will we spend your contributions? The money will go toward:
- Equipment rentals
- Room rentals
- Compensating a class instructor and 5 filmmaker mentors
- Print Materials
If we reach over $20,000 dollars, then the money matched by the anonymous donor will support the personnel and adminsitrative overhead costs that are necessary to put on this camp.
Thank you so much your support!
To learn more about our youth intiaitve, please visit this link: https://gigharborfilm.org/gig-harbor-film-festival-youth-initiative/
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call our office at 253-851-FILM (3456) or email [email protected]
The direct cost of putting on a film camp is $20,000. GHFF assures you that all funds received for this campaign will go straight to the youth summer camp. If you donate, we will follow up and keep you informed of where your donations are going, as well as the progress of our journey of making this camp happen!