This campaign is now closed. THANK YOU to everyone who contributed. We can’t thank you enough for your support!
If you'd still like to make a donation, please visit: www.edoqld.org.au/donate
This has been one of the toughest years ever for our natural environment and our affected communities.
We’ve witnessed the worst coral bleaching event in our Great Barrier Reef’s long existence. Governments have publicly committed to take action but, at the same time, granted unprecedented special treatment to the Adani Carmichael project: one of the riskiest fossil fuel projects of all time.
We are at an absolutely critical point in the fight for a fair, sustainable future for humanity. And we need your help.
We are excited to tell you that for this appeal every dollar donated in December, up to a (new!) maximum total of $50,000, will be matched by a generous donor. (For example, if you donate $100 before the end of 2016, EDO Qld will receive $200!)
Will you please make a tax-deductible donation now to help us stay strong in the fight for your future?
At Environmental Defenders Office Queensland (EDO Qld), we use the legal system as a sharp tool to hold government and industry to account. Our lawyers have an outstanding, hope-inspiring track record, working for you in the name of environmental justice, both in and out of court.
In our 25 years of experience, we’ve never been so hard-pressed. Now more than ever, we urgently need your help to ensure our in-motion court challenges and legal advocacy for good planning and better laws can continue. And succeed.
To farmers, conservationists, politicians, families, - indeed, all Australians who care enough to think ahead - it’s time to stand united and be strong in the fight for our shared future. Inaction has such severe consequences that we must act now.
Please, will you make a tax-deductible donation to EDO Qld today?
As you know, the hardworking lawyers and staff at EDO Qld have not been watching from the sidelines. With your support we have hit some huge milestones over the past year alone: running five major court cases in Federal and State Courts and still striving for your rights in Parliament concerning planning, groundwater, community objections, and chain of corporate responsibility.
Now we’re ready to launch our action plan for the start of 2017. That’s why we urgently need your help to:
- Continue our landmark climate cases. We have filed an application for special leave to the High Court on a precedent climate case, with the threshold application to be decided over the next few months.
- Stand up for the Reef. We are representing the ACF in the appeal challenging Adani Carmichael’s Federal approval in February/March 2017.
- Push for stronger laws. We will draft a Bill to legislate renewable energy targets and to remove legal barriers to clean renewable energy. We will advocate for laws to protect Reef water quality and vegetation.
- Protect biodiversity by good planning. We will empower the community, running four community planning law seminars in February alone, and working on crucial regional plans in early 2017.
- Hold industry to account. We will continue to push for revised economic guidelines for major projects, so the exaggerated benefits (such as 1467 net jobs not 10,000 jobs for Carmichael) don’t skew rational debate.
- Protect your rights under federal law. We will staunchly advocate for community legal standing under federal laws and for the protection of your rights to make tax deductible donations to protect the environment.
This year has been full-to-the-brim with important public interest legal work for our dedicated staff. With your ongoing support we will continue to brush aside industry spin and criticism and focus on the bigger picture.
Remember, we’re in a unique position to help. We’re lawyers dedicated to you and the environment. For the past 25 years, we have been working to strengthen our laws, protect you and your communities and hold government and industry to account.
Will you help us? Please, make a tax-deductible donation to EDO Qld today.
With your support we’re confident we can do what’s needed. If we can’t raise the money, there is nowhere else that can supply the skills and legal expertise needed by the community.
Jo-Anne Bragg - Environmental Defenders Office Queensland
PS - Help us double your contribution. EDO Qld has always had strong supporters and this year is no different. Every donation will be matched dollar-for-dollar to the (new!) sum of $50,000.
We are committed to stand up for justice, There is no doubt about it, we must persevere to avoid the severe consequences of inaction.