At the beginning of our October Rebellion, we asked the UK Government departments: ‘What is your plan for the Planetary Emergency?
We enter our reflection phase, embark on deep learnings and gestate into something more beautiful & more creative to bring the message of climate and ecological crisis to millions.
During this period we remind ourselves of governmental shortcomings:
- Since the UK Parliament declared a ‘symbolic’ Climate and Environmental Emergency on May 1, we seen neither truth nor action.
- Populations of UK’s most important wildlife have plummeted with 25% of mammals and nearly 50% of birds assessed at risk of extinction.
- The Joint Nature Conservation Committee has found that the UK is on track to miss 14 of the 19 of its biodiversity targets.
- It is falling well short of a commitment to plant 11m trees by 2022. Even if achieved, it would nullify just one hour of global emissions.
- Of 25 key policies recommended by the Government’s advisers to address the Emergency, it has implemented just one.
- The Queen’s Speech devoted six words to the Emergency.
- The recent announcement of a Cabinet Committee to address the Emergency prevents legal action against Ministers for failings until 2037.
- It used our taxes to increase funding for overseas fossil fuel projects elevenfold last year
- It has allocated more overseas cash to oil and gas in the two years since signing the Paris Agreement than it had in the previous five
- It provides 25 times more overseas funding to fossil fuels than to renewables
- Despite appeals from former UN head Ban-Ki Moon to stop, it continues to lock in countries to a fossil fuel future and extract wealth from the Global South
- Our Government has the highest fossil fuel subsidies in the EU, it is still backing fracking, Heathrow’s third runway, and HS2 – one of the largest deforestation projects in the country since World War I
- Last week, it defied advisers’ climate concerns to approve yet another new gas-powered power plant
- Our Government faces wasting millions of pounds of taxpayer money on fines from Europe’s highest court for breaching air pollution limits.
Our grassroots movement relies on thousands of people’s contributions. Please donate to our UK Rebellion now and consider helping it evolve by joining us here: https://rebellion.earth/act-now/join-us/
Love and rage in the face of extinction.
Until we win!