A charitable foundation is generously matching every £1 donated by you, instantly doubling your donation.
If you are a UK taxpayer, we can use Gift Aid to reclaim a further 25p for every £1 you donate. We will follow up with you offline about Gift Aid.
In 1966 a handful of Jewish vegetarians came together to create the Jewish Vegetarian Society [JVS], later buying 853-855 Finchley Road in Golders Green for the Society's use. Now 51 years later, we are building and launching a brand new community space on the ground floor of our building with offices for like-minded charities and a large hall to host regular JVS events, affordable hires and learning.
Our objective is to be at the forefront of educating and practising in the areas of animal welfare, food ethics, sustainability and the environment. We are planning a regular programme of events including; 'how to grow a sustainable garden', an array of cookery classes, celebrating Seder night, the Jewish new year for the animals, World Food Day, Tu B'Shvat, National Vegetarian Week, Shavuot, and lots more. With regular film nights, social events and a weekly popup cafe, we aim to create a thriving and vibrant centre.
We're nothing without our community and we want to expand. We need your time and also your help financially to transform the space, which is in great need of repair, into a place you will want to spend time in, enjoying social and educational events.
Our plans include:
- Opening up the main hall by removing central pillars, making space ideal for large gatherings
- Removing a wall to create space for an open plan kitchen - for cookery classes and catering events
- Installing partitions to make the space flexible
- Re-landscaping the garden
- Converting three rooms into charity offices
- Making the ground floor and garden wheelchair accessible
- New floor in the hall, new ceiling
- State of the art audio / visual setup in the hall
- Rewiring the ground floor
- Installing air conditioning
- Professional kitchen fully equipped for both cookery demos and for catering events
Garden and decking area
- Tree surgery
- Decking area - space for sukkah
- New greenhouse
- Bi-fold doors
Here is our architect's drawing of new layout:
Here are some photos of spaces that are inspiring our design choices:
We are estimating the following costs based on expert quotes
- Structural and decorative changes to hall - £40k
- Designs, architecture, engineering - £8k
- New kitchen installation & equipment - £10k
- Landscaped garden - £10k
- Audio visual equipment, tables and chairs, furnishings, lighting and fittings - £7k
Total = £75k
Funding the costs
We are planning on funding these costs through the following:
- £25k from donations
- £25k matched funding from a foundation
- £25k from the Jewish Vegetarian Society funds