Why Western Australian Children need your help
20% of children in WA start school without essential skills to learn to read. This figure goes up to 30% in some disadvantaged suburbs. Some of the children United Way WA have met don’t know how to hold a book, have a limited vocabulary and are behind in literacy and language before even starting school.
Children who don’t have the opportunity to read when they’re young often slip into long term disadvantage, with research showing how some children suffer from higher rates of academic failure, substance abuse, health issues and unemployment in later life.
How reading from young helps
Research has proven time and time again how important reading from a young age is.
- A child’s ability to read and write is set within the first five years of life
- Literacy skills do not develop automatically and need to be encouraged and nurtured in children
- Having more books in the home leads to better educational outcomes for children
- Empowering parents and carers to guide their child and cultivate a habit of reading can make a huge difference in their educational achievements
What United Way WA does for WA Children
United Way WA runs a community program, the Dolly Parton Imagination Library, for disadvantaged children under the age of five that delivers one new book a month to their homes. The monthly kit comes with literacy resources – tip sheets and an age-appropriate book for parents and carers to help their kids get ready for school by reading to them in an active way that also makes it fun.
What the Dolly Parton Imagination Library has achieved in Australia
Australia-wide, the Dolly Parton Imagination Library program has shown immense results.
- Children are now almost twice as likely to ask to be read to (an astounding increase from 40% to 77%)
- Children are talking about books and asking for books over toys. Children also carry books around and treat them with greater respect and love.
- Parents are twice as likely to talk about shared reading with other parents (this was previously 40% and increased to 80%)
- More parents read daily with their children. There is greater engagement with fathers who have an overall sense of pride in their children. There is also more book sharing between siblings.
How you can help!
We need your help to raise $5000 for WA children in need.
With $15, you can provide 1 home delivered age-appropriate book for a child with literacy resources for their parents/care givers.
With $40, you can provide 1 home delivered age-appropriate book for a child with literacy resources for their parents/care givers and also give this gift to a child you know.
With $90, you can support a child for 6 months on their journey to becoming school ready with 6 home delivered age-appropriate books for a child with literacy resources for their parents/care givers.
With $180, you can sponsor a child with monthly books for a whole year with literacy resources for their parents/care givers.
With $360, you can sponsor a child with monthly books for a whole year with literacy resources for their parents/care givers and also give this gift to a child you know.
If you donate over $40 you also receive interactive colouring book/s depending on the level you donate.
Our overall target is $5000 this will help us enrol upto 28 new children into next year’s program in WA.
What you will get
When you support this cause we will send you a downloadable and printable 'Thank You' card to say you have assisted a child in WA for 1, 6 or 12 months with home delivered age-appropriate book/s and literacy resources for their parents/care givers. Depending on your donation size you will also receive a 'Red the Super Reading Roo' interactive colouring book to give to a child/children you know as a gift. This colouring book is a wonderful adventure with Red the Super Reading Roo where they can learn to talk, read, sing, rhyme and play!
This is a great opportunity to give a friend or loved one who already has everything a gift that gives twice. Why not make a donation for your friend/family to support a WA child and receive a beautiful 'Thank You' card to give as a gift?
Each of the 'Thank You' cards available is different depending on the level of donation you make. Once you make your donation we will email your specially-designed card to print out at home. If your donation is for $40 or $360 tell us the name of the child who will be receiving the gift of reading and we will personalise the card for you.